If you happen to recall (and, if you don't, I'm not at all surprised), I'd just been working on the coal yard, "planting" the East Berlin station (thanks to Dave Messer!), and experimenting with static grass between the rails. Check out the post for the pics.
Well, truth be told, I've made a bit more progress in the area since then but given the busy Autumn travels, I haven't taken the time to update the blog about it. So, with apologies to the FB followers (who have already seen some of these pics), here's a bit of a slideshow of where things are going, if not quite where they're currently at. . .
|I applied the ground foam over all the areas where I wanted grass. I figured this would provide some base color and "thatch" underneath the static grass later.|
|It dried a bit splotchy, but it's ok if some of the "dirt" color comes through - later layers should blend it all in.|
|Yes, that's a pretty hard line of demarcation between the "grass" and the "dirt" - my front yard isn't edged so well! But I'll soften that line a bit with the static grass later.|
|After waiting a day or so for everything to thoroughly dry, I brushed on some more white glue and hit the grass areas with static grass (note that the "roughed up" the edges a bit). I used a mix of colors and lengths, blended "cocktail shaker" style a la McGuirk (just be sure to use paper cups for that, not styrofoam!).|
|Once the grass was dry, I replaced the station. Looks pretty good I think! (though it really needs a pretty heavy dose of weathering)|
|I'll give my static grass effort here a C+ since so much of it is laying down. I used a technique Jim Dufour showed me (and which has been recommended by Marty and others as well) which involves waiting until the glue starts to set and then going over the grass again with a Shop Vac to "pull" it up so it stands vertically. I think my problem here is that I used mostly 10mm grass - which is not only a bit tall for this area, but its height makes it very tough for it to stand upright on its own, IMO.|
|This area is looking a bit better though - but I do need to add some additional colors & textures to get away from the "paint-by-numbers" look. And I clearly need to "roughen up" those edges a bit more. Still looks too manicured.|
|Yeah, looks just a little too nice.|
|This is looking a little better, mostly cuz I went over the track again with more grass.|