Wednesday, January 27, 2021
Tuesday, January 26, 2021
I think I may have mentioned before that I'm a little intimidated by doing scenery. And, like some (many? most?) model railroaders, there are typically two ways to confront such intimidation - well, other than Just Doing It: You either throw money at it (in extreme cases, hiring someone to do it for you), or you research it (to death). The first leaves you lighter of cash, and still bankrupt of skill. The second typically results in Analysis Paralysis.
Now, being the sort that actually WOULD like to develop some scenery skills (and having a wee bit o' the Scots in my blood), I tend heavily toward Option 2 - to wit:
. . . thank you to Mr. Lou Sassi (and, yes, I have the first edition of this book too...)
Sunday, January 24, 2021
Last time, I'd just finished the "terraforming" at Dividend - mostly cardboard lattice overlaid with plaster cloth, with foam board profile boards. My next step would typically be to cover the plaster cloth with "ground goop" and, while it was still wet, either sprinkle ground foam on top of it or go directly to applying static grass. But ground goop, being basically a mix of Sculptamold or Celluclay, glue, and paint (click here for details), can be pretty messy. That's usually not a problem - but since I have a cut here, I need to use some rock castings and the goop might mess them up.
Now, if I was as talented as my friend Bill (see his work above - between Goff Brook and Rocky Hill), I could have just carved the rock faces right into the ground goop and called it a day. But, not being as talented, I figured I'd take a more controlled and traditional approach.
So, instead of ground goop, I decided to use rock castings, pressed into plain white Sculptamold, and color and paint everything later.
Wednesday, January 20, 2021
|My terraforming technique has typically consisted of standard cardboard webbing, plastercloth, and ground goop. But I'd never modeled a cut before, so wanted a bit more control. After fussing with foamboard layering, I decided on a hybrid approach - use foamboard on edge as profile boards, and glue the webbing to that.|
|Actually, you can see yet a third technique the photo above - wadded up newspaper, held down by masking tape. Scenery support doesn't have to be pretty - it just has to give you the contours you want.|
|And here's a 4th method - just foamboard, carved to shape. This technique is especially useful for flat(ish) areas, like around where the house and garage will be (you can see the outlines I traced).|
|And here's the road in place. You might be able to make out that there's a farmhouse at the left end of the backdrop mockup. The idea would be that the road goes "into" the backdrop and past the front of that house.|
|Getting back to the cut, I used my rasp to round off the edges of the foam board to make a more natural contour.|
|Rasping foam makes SUCH a mess! This is from just a little area. I'm so glad I'm not trying to rasp down multiple layers of foam to create this hill!|
|While this is a nice overview of the progress so far, it's not so great at showing the reason for showing this view - which is to show the cardboard strips and masking tape support from Belamose Ave down to the "field" level.|
|And here's what all that support is for - adding plaster cloth for the (semi)final terrain contour. The final final contours will be provided by either a layer of Sculptamold, ground goop, or both.|