Tuesday, April 10, 2018

"Un-Molding" the Casting

So here's where we left off last time - resin poured into the rubber mold & a sheet of acetate laid on top and weighted down . . .

The video from last time seemed to work well, so instead of a lot of pictures and text, I figured I'd do a longer video of "unmolding" the casting . . .

As I mentioned, I'm not happy with the bubble-voids, but they're on the bottom of the casting where they won't be seen, so they don't really matter. I'm just happy that all turned out as well as I'd hoped.

Not bad for my first rubber mold/resin casting effort. Here you see the mold I made, with the master in the center, and my copy/casting on the bottom.

Now, all this was by way of practice for the real reason I got all this casting material and did all this practice in the first place. I intend to use the Shapeways parts that MikeR made of the Rt. 15 overpass and use them as masters for a bunch of additional girders so I can, yes, FINALLY(!) make some more progress on the north end of Wethersfield!

PS: be sure to let me know what you think of the videos. I'll never become a Vlogger, but sometimes I think having a video in a post instead of a lot of pics and text description is more helpful. So let me know your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment