Monday, January 22, 2018

Last of the Pop-Up Track (hopefully)

So first, some cool news: My "Track Popping Up - Fixes" thread on the Model Railroad Hobbyist Forum got mentioned on the MRH Weekly Email!

And just in time too, in case I get any additional tips on fixing track that's popped up due to wood subroadbed shrinkage. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I discovered yet another place where the track had lifted up - this time a turnout in a scenicked area!

Switch off the siding in Mill Hollow - that tilt on the bullseye bubble level is real. So is that rail kink. Pay no attention to that - the trains run fine over it (it's an industrial siding after all).

You can just about make out the bubble at 11-o'clock.

Bubble at 12-o'clock or thereabouts. Most definitely tilted.

I used a shop vac to suck up all loose material/ballast then put some Aleene's Tacky Glue between the ties and spread it under the ties using a brush.

Then weighted down overnight, using blocks of wood over the rail joints to make sure there'd be no vertical kinks.

The next day - all better.

Bubble near center. Bliss!

One long-time problem I decided to fix was the large ballast-eating hole required by a frog feeder (you can just make out the floor through the hole). Turned out a simple fix - just a little bit of black foam stuffed in the hole. . .

And - Presto! - the hole disappears!
Added ballast to cover the Aleenes (which dries a bit glossy) and the rest - placed the ballast, sprayed with 70% alcohol til soaked, dripped on dilute white glue.

And all back to normal - well, as "normal" as a siding can be.
So that is hopefully the last of the raised-track saga. Heh - if I'd wanted humps in my track, I would have modeled a hump yard(!) Hope your layouts are faring well, despite the season - and if you have any additional suggestions on how to avoid/fix this problem, I hope you'll let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment