Well, waaaaay back when I first started modeling the Wethersfield Lumber Co., I decided that Walthers' Walton & Sons Lumber kit would make a fine stand-in until I came across photos of the prototype.
Unfortunately, only the main shed was suitable based on the the one obscure prototype photo I was able to find:
The office building included with the kit, was decidedly - well - "western" looking:
No problem - my original orientation of the shed didn't allow any room for the office building (which was located on the west side of the shed - which would be between the shed and backdrop on my layout). But now that I've moved the siding, I have room for the office.
After going through my stash of structure kits looking for something suitable, and not wanting to bother to scratchbuild since I haven't ANY idea what the prototype looked like, I gave the Walton Lumber Co. office a second look.
Hmmm...... if I "un-western-ized" it, it might just fit the bill - especially since it's at the back of the scene next to the backdrop. So I decided to tackle it, and build some new skills along the way.
|Here's the problematic wall as it comes.|
|First step was to razor saw off the top part, using the overhang as a guide for cutting.|
|And here's the result. I considered just moving the cutoff piece down to splice, but realized pretty quickly that wouldn't work.|
|So I got a piece of .020 x .188" strip styrene (Evergreen #128) and, after marking it for cutting to fit, chopped it with my NWSL Chopper.|
|I ended up cutting it just a little bit long - but it's always best to cut long and sand to fit than vice versa. So that's what I did here, using my NWSL True Sander.|
|Here it is, ready for cementing in place with Scalecoat Probond liquid cement, applied with a microbrush.|
|Once in place and the glue set (which only took a minute or so), I used different grades of sanding stick to smooth out the joints and blend everything in.|
|I just used the snips to remove most of the overhang. I took off the rest with a chisel from Micro-Mark and sanded smooth.|
|Then all I had to do was use a razor blade to chop off the ends flush with the wall.|
And here's where I ended up:
The stock kit wasn't really suitable for my locale, but by doing this simple modification I can put it to work on my layout. Plus, I developed some new splicing/patching skills along the way. Not bad for an evening's work!